30 September 2008

School Holidays Begin






As it was the first day of the school holidays I was enthusiastic. Madeline was having a friend around for the day, so I decided we could do some baking, and then take them down to the beach afterward for a picnic.
Searching the internet for an easy but delicious recipe, I found Joy of Baking.com for for a vanilla cupcake recipe. I didn't have any unsalted butter with me, but as I am on a butter strike (too expensive!) I substituted with the Flora spread. Incidentally I have not been using butter in my baking for over a year since the prices rose, and also since my nephew is allergic to dairy. In doing this I have found cooking with spread (Pams, Flora, Olivio etc) far easier (creaming is a breeze!) and much less expensive than butter. I also added pink food colouring to the cupcake mix just to make it a bit more girly.
The girls danced in the lounge singing their heads off while they cooled, and were far too engrossed in their fantasy land of Hannah Montana to notice I was icing the cupcakes, which is good for me as I am fussy and particular and I LOVE icing them myself. Terrible I know...
They went down well and the 2 big girls finished them, while Katie only ate the icing on the top. I was sad I didn't get a picture of Johnny enjoying it, as while I was out of the room he was fed one by the 3 giggling girls and he was covered in head to toe in chocolate icing much to their delight!
The cupcakes were okay. I wouldn't make them the day before eating as they dried out pretty quickly. Still not quite what I was after for a moist vanilla cupcake but they did the trick today.
Lets see if I'll be as enthusiastic next week...

No comments: