28 July 2009

Hokey Pokey Biscuits


A couple of weekends ago during the school holidays I spent a morning making treats with the kids. Sadly I forgot to take photos. Marshmallow and hokey pokey from the Edmonds cookbook gave us a morning licking bowls, marvelling at science and an afternoon chewing, chomping and enjoying the fruits of our labours!
When my Auntie Susie reflected back on making hokey pokey biscuits, of which I am sure I consumed many of in my childhood, I decided to make some.
Here's the recipe, from the Edmonds book:

125g butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups plain baking flour
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda

Combine butter, sugar, golden syrup and milk in a saucepan. Heat until butter is melted and mixture nearly boiling, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to lukewarm. Sift flour and baking soda together. Add to the cooled mixture. Stir well.
Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on ungreased oven trays. Flatten with a fork.
Bake at 180 deg. C for 15-20 mins or until golden brown.
Makes 22

And enjoy!

No comments: