23 December 2009

Christmas Nut Pies


This is a recipe taken from Jo Seagars Easy Peasy Summer Entertaining book. Such a simple and sweet recipe that I thought I would make some yummy presents.

Here's a step by step recipe for you to make your own.

What you need:
125g butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup assorted nuts - no skins. I used hazelnuts, brazil nuts, almonds, cashews and of course pecans.
60g butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
You will also need a mini muffin tray - either non stick or well greased.

First turn your oven to 180 deg Celsius.
Blend butter, flour and icing sugar together in a food processor until the dough rolls into a ball around the blade.
Take this out and divide into 15 little balls and press with floured hands into the muffin tray and up the sides. Pop into the fridge for 30 mins.


While the pastry is in the fridge melt the butter, add the egg and sugar and vanilla and beat until a nice gooey consistency. My secret and must have ingredient instead of vanilla essence is this lovely paste. Just the teeniest tiniest bit goes a long way and has a beautiful flavour.



Place the nuts into the pastry and spoon filling over the top, being careful not to overfill.


Bake for 20-25mins and cool on a cooling rack.


Best served warm, and I think with a nice dollop of cream!

I had left over filling and pastry as my mini muffin tray only makes 12, so I made a larger mini pie and then I still had some left over filling so I used some puff pastry I had in the freezer and made 2 more. These probably take another 5-8 mins or so to bake.


These smelled so fabulous while baking I couldn't help myself and tucked into one before it could cool. Hmm this summer weight loss is not happening anytime soon by the looks of it! These are sweet, and I think a perfect size for a Christmassy nutty bite!

No comments: