27 December 2009

Pavlova

I have an excellent pavlova recipe I would like to share with you. Its from an old Home Economics class at school and I'm so glad I kept it, as its brilliant. It gives a perfect crusty outside and gooey soft inside, just like a pavlova should be and although its sweet, its not too sweet.
I made one for Christmas Day this year and it went down a treat.


Pavlova
4 egg whites
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 tablespoon cornflour
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I use vanilla bean paste)
1/2 cup fresh whipped cream
Lots of fresh fruit. I used chopped strawberries and blueberries, but you can use whatever you like. A kiwi classic is obviously kiwifruit!

Cut a 20cm round shape out of baking paper and place on baking tray. Turn the oven to 140 deg Celsius.
Whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time and slowly. This is very important so the sugar dissolves. When it is all added the mixture should be glossy and thick. Sprinkle the cornflour and vinegar over the mixture and fold in carefully. Add the vanilla and fold in again.
Place the mixture on the piece of baking paper and shape carefully using a palette knife. You can play with the shape a little here but don't spend too long on it!
Place in the middle tray of the oven for 1hr and 15mins. When cooked it should be left in the oven to cool completely before removing. If you are not decorating it straight away keep in an airtight container in a cool place - but not the fridge!!
When ready to serve, whip the cream and plonk on top, and then place fruit however you would like. Serve and enjoy this incredibly delicious kiwi summer classic!

1 comment:

Anita said...

I was looking for a good pavlova recipe (I have so many left over egg whites at the moment). Thanks!!