24 January 2011

Spoiled

This weekend was my birthday. AND for the first time in ages I didn't make my own cake. Hehe. I made A cake, but it wasn't a birthday cake.

Look at this...


Gorgeous! Delicious. Thank you Alison!

I also attempted a new recipe for a gluten free sponge cake which had interesting results. It wasn't so much a sponge as a mix between and angel food cake and a pavlova! Served with cream and macerated nectarines, it looked divine and summery.


My brother in law got there before I did with the camera. Hehe.


Recipe for gluten free sponge (which isn't really a sponge...)

3 egg whites
3/4 cup cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sugar

Turn oven to 150deg C.
Whisk egg whites into soft peaks and add to sifted dry mixture and mix carefully so the mixture is just incorporated. Pour into 20cm springform tin, well greased and lined with baking paper.
Turn oven down to 120 deg C and bake for 20 mins. The mixture should rise beautifully and the cake should be slightly springy when touched.
Cool and serve with anything you like!
This is a great recipe if you want to make it smaller and turn the cake into lady finger sponge for a tiramisu or trifle. There are plenty of ways to work this, even perhaps adding ground almonds to the mix to give it an almost macaron taste/texture.

Anyway, I just want to say thank you to my gorgeous family and friends for a lovely weekend. I didn't expect to enjoy myself nearly that much. I had mixed feelings about this birthday. Not because of the age thing, but because last year I had a big blow out party, dressing up and having an awesome time celebrating everything fun about turning 30. And then I lost that year. I lost parts of myself and I'm still struggling to regain them. So I wasn't exactly in the mood really. I mean, its only 31 right?
But Owen made pancakes for breakfast, the kids made a fuss and a thousand cards and really they all spoiled me. After lunch friends started popping in for a casual drink, and these things happen...we had a party. Very unplanned and impromptu and exactly what I needed. So thank you family and friends for topping up my tank and making me feel so loved.

1 comment:

jacksta said...

Aw... Yay! Glad you had a great Birthday. Loving the strawberry cake. So pretty.