22 March 2011

A Year...and another cake


Today I made a trip over to North Shore Hospital for the first of my annual MRI's since my diagnosis. This means its just about a year already. Can you believe it? No I can't either.
This time last year I was actually having my biopsy and waiting innocently, oblivious to the massive changes to come. I had NO CLUE I actually had cancer. Wow, how life changes quickly.

So today I felt like an old hand. Yeah I know the drill. Hi nurse, yeah no needle phobias here anymore. I still don't wanna look at you doing it though ok? Oh right you got the wrong vein? Its okay, have a dig around it doesn't hurt. No truly it doesn't. I'm a pro at this.

MRI's are funny things though. Here I was lying down comfortably and almost dropping off to sleep...if it weren't for the sound of a jackhammer right next to me. If you're inclined to be claustrophobic you wouldn't like it one bit.
But I'm glad that's over. I was a wee bit nervous, but I know its routine. Now I just have to wait for the doctor to say its all clear and I can get on for another year. Phew.



I made a cake last night as it was a little chilly and wet. I felt like something warm and almost puddingish for dessert. A late summer goodie I guess.
It's guava season. We have two rather lovely guava trees in our garden which are always bursting at this time of the year. Alison grabbed some and took away to make a rather lovely alcoholic drink with. Looking forward to trying that. I made jam. Well, jelly really.

Hmm, looks a little bloody...

The kids love the guavas, but I'm not such a fan. Maybe its the texture? But I LOVE guava jelly. Heaps. And its so easy peasy! I just chucked them in a saucepan with a little water, lots of sugar and some lemon juice and left them to boil away. Drained the pulp and poured into hot hot jars. So far so good and it was super yummy on toast for brekkie this morning.


The jelly also worked nicely for this recipe too.


Coconut and Guava Cake 
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 brown sugar
120g butter
2 eggs
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup coconut
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup coconut cream
3 tablespoons guava jelly (or however much you like!)

Cream butter and sugars, add eggs one at a time and mix until creamy. Fold flour in and add coconut, sour cream and coconut cream and guava jelly. Mix and pour into well lined tin.
Bake 50-55 mins on 175deg C or until middle is firm.

A lovely moist cake served either cold or hot.

The bits you can see in this cake are cream cheese, as I didn't have any sour cream. But the cream cheese worked really nicely if you wish to substitute too.

5 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Wow - what a year for you alright! Here's to an fresh new year of enjoying life and being able to relax.

Loving that cake - we love making guava jelly too!!

jacksta said...

looks delish! Thanks for the idea...we have a couple of guava trees that I have never known what to do with ...will give jelly a whirl....and cake....mmmm...cake

Anonymous said...

I love that plate too, so pretty!!

Hootnz said...

Life certainly throws some curve balls, but I think it makes us stronger and more confident with other aspects in our life, and we are all the better for it!
( though gotta have a sob now and then! )
I wish you all the best for clear results and a healthy and enjoyable year!

Pamela said...

Congratulations on your one year mark! So much can change in one year!