09 August 2012

Peanut Honey Brittle


Warning: This is addictive. Once made its impossible to resist. 


I've never made peanut brittle before, and after winning a book on confectionery making by Heather from SprinkleBakes I decided to work my way through a few recipes to try out. This one is my own take on the recipe though.
 I've been meaning to make candy for a while but I've only just replaced my candy thermometer since my last one got smashed in the move. And to make perfect candy it really is an essential item. 

A few tips: Make these with roasted peanuts. The flavour is just that more intense rather than using raw or blanched peanuts.
As with most candy making, make sure you have all your ingredients you need to add quickly right next you, so make sure your work space is not too cluttered. Messing up with hot sugar could be a disaster if you knock it over, so make sure you give yourself plenty of room.

Okay, so to start you combine the following three ingredients into a heavy bottomed pot.

1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons glucose syrup

Put them on the stove on a low temperature and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Then leave it (meaning DO NOT STIR) until it reaches 128 deg C. This takes roughly about 8 minutes.




When it has reached that temperature add:

2 cups roasted peanuts
3 tablespoons butter



Keeping the pot on the heat stir these in and keep stirring gently until the temperature reaches 154 deg C. Take off the heat and quickly add:
1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 teaspoon essence 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Stir quickly and then pour onto lined tray and smooth out to about 1cm thickness with a metal spoon or spatula.



Cool.

Once cooled you can do this! 


Its so moreish!




5 comments:

Miriam said...

love that photo of you eating it - you look gorgeous. A very dangerous recipe me thinks

Sophie said...

scrummmmmm! Haven't made peanut brittle in years!

Pamela said...

I love making brittle around Christmas time. I have never added honey so I will have to give it a try. Looks great!

Sophie said...

Hi Mon,
have tagged you for the Liebster Award here...
http://littlegumnut.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/the-liebster-award.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe, cannot wait to try this.