07 January 2013

Delissimon's Sausage Rolls

Lately in Delissimon HQ we've been enjoying creating our own sausage rolls. Well I've been creating them and the family have been eating them, quite happily.

These are very easy, delicious and just a few ingredients can go far and make a filling and delicious snack...or a good meal when paired with yummy summer vegetables or salad.

All you need is some sheets of ready made puff pastry, some mince and any flavours or additives you want to add. Personally I HATE peas and carrots in my sausage rolls so these never feature in our homemade ones, but you may like to add them.


These ones pictured are mexican beef but I'll share with you our favourite recipe.

2 sheets ready rolled puff pastry
400g pork mince
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
handful fresh thyme 
dash of soy sauce
1 egg, lightly beaten

Place mince in a bowl. 
Using a mortar and pestle (Jamie Oliver style!) grind the cumin, salt and fennel seeds together and add to the mince along with the soy sauce and egg and mix well.
Make sure the pastry has defrosted, then cut in half. 
Using a spoon spread the mince mix generously in a line across the pastry lengthwise and roll it. Then cut it in half, repeat this for each half.
Brush tops with egg wash and cut small light slits across the top of the pastry or sprinkle with cheese

Place on baking tray lined with baking paper and cook at 180 deg C for 25-30mins or until pastry is golden and crisp on the bottom.


These are great for hard working daddies too!



*I just realised that I hardly EVER feature savoury baking items. I'm determined to feature more of my favourite savoury baking dishes this year. Fruit and vegetables are a much larger component of our family diet that I often show. I am all about healthy balanced diets and my family get more than their fair share of 5+ a day!

3 comments:

Leonie said...

Oh yum!! Might make these for my troop, they love Homemade sausage rolls!

Barbs said...

Yum. I cant stand sausages but I never thought to make them with mince! Great idea.

Dione Nye said...

Any kind of sausage works well in this recipe, right? I might as well try your own mix to give our traditional Easter Sunday menu some variation. Just in time! :D