21 February 2013

Chocolate Chippie Cookies

Ahh the Edmonds cookbook. Hands up who has one?
I was gifted one when Owen and I got engaged. It's a right of passage for anyone going flatting, or getting married to receive the bible of all New Zealand cookbooks. I've given a fair number as a housewarming gift or especially to a new family who have emigrated to New Zealand. The good old Edmonds Cookbook. Everyone needs one. 




A few years ago I used to read a blog about a woman that attempted to bake her way through the book, with some pretty funny and some great and some terrible results. I'm not going to try that but I thought I might share a few favourites over the next few months. It sure is a recipe book with a mostly fail safe simple way to find out how to make scones, pastry, hokey pokey, preserving, converting oven temperatures...and some rather less popular recipes such as sardine savoury.
My copy is a rather well worn one after 14 years but not as worn as my mothers.

I regularly use the cookie recipes as a base and add my own touches but this one here is a great recipe, which has been used so many times. I add dried fruit and sometimes peanut butter, but this week our pantry is a little sparse and I chucked in some sesame seeds with the chocolate. Just because.




Recipe:

125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
a few drops vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup chocolate chips (I like the large chunky ones)

Cream butter and sugar and condensed milk and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and baking powder and add with the chocolate chips until well combined. Spoon onto lined baking tray and bake for 20 minutes at 180 deg C.

The sweetened condensed milk gives a really lovely flavour. 

5 comments:

Sophie said...

my favourite go to cookbook and it looks very like yours does! My neighbour gave it to me when we were in Auckland and it has been a wee gem!

Spencer said...

Looks delicious! I would so love to try some.

Sima J said...

Mmmm Choc Chippies are the best and yours look yummo! That cooking her way through blog sounds funny too ;-)

Hootnz said...

I got one too given by Mikes mum when we moved into our first house, not that I was any good at using it back then! Love this recipe, it's a favourite in our house and the sesame seeds is a great addition :)

The Foggy Knitter said...

I adore the Edmond's cookbook, we have 2 editionshere, one from the 1950s and one from the 1990s. I've seen these biscuits described as "Highlander Biscuits" in some older NZ cookbooks, including Aunt Daisy I think, must try them sometime when we actually have condensed milk around