11 September 2013

Coco Moco Slice

I don't know why I called it that. It sounded catchy.


This is a coconut mocha slice and its very smooth and sweet - I wasn't sure how this would go down, too sweet is sometimes overwhelming but the day after I made this it tasted even better so its one of those 'its even better the next day' recipes. And I keep eating it...it's delicious!

I can't take credit for the recipe though, this one comes courtesy of one of Grandma Farrell's Australian Women's Weekly recipe books I inherited (complete with all her notes and adaptations for her favourites which makes it extra special). If you, or the person/people you are making it for don't like coconut you could take that out and use oats, or even ground almonds...hmm now that I've mentioned it I might try it with that too.


Base:
90g coconut
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/3 brown sugar
100g butter, cubed

Mocha Topping:
2 teaspoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon hot water
395g can sweetened condensed milk
100g dark chocolate, chopped
30g butter

Grease and line a square or oblong baking tin. 
Heat oven to 180 deg C.
Combine coconut, flour, sugar in a bowl and add butter. Mix with paddle beater in electric mixer until the butter is combined in the dry mix and resembles breadcrumbs or if you like the long version you can rub the butter into the mix with your hands (I prefer the quick way). Take mixture out and press into baking tin firmly and evenly.
Bake for approximately 12 minutes - or until the top is golden.

Mocha Topping:
While the base is baking you should start on this. Dissolve the coffee in the hot water in a medium size saucepan. Then add the remaining ingredients and stir over a low heat until the butter and chocolate has melted. Bring to the boil and let it simmer for about 3 minutes and it is thick and coats the back of a spoon well.

When base is cooked leave for 10 minutes until pouring topping over. Sprinkle with extra coconut (I used some lovely BIG chunks of Ceres Organic Coconut Chips because they are crunchy and so delicious).
Let cool to room temperature and then place in fridge to set.
Once set it will cut beautifully.



2 comments:

Leonie said...

Ooooh know the feeling of not being to help yourself well! Must give this a go, thanks for sharing!

Liz Parsons said...

Wow, this look great. I am going to make this slice with my daughter this wet stormy weekend.Thanks for taking the time to share with us. You are a talented lady.