19 March 2010

Orange Cake - Gluten Free


I'm not a fan of marmalade. Or even the smell of marmalade. I was hesitant to try this recipe because it asked me to boil two oranges for an hour and then blend them in a food processor, and it smelled like...well, like marmalade.

But I've just tried it with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream and I've gotta tell ya...its delicious!! Nutty, very orangey and just the right amount of sweetness. I ground my almonds quite large and with the skin on still so the look and texture is slightly different to what the recipe expected. But a nice cake on its own and a lovely dessert served with cream.

Also not bad in a large size too...


And here's the recipe:

Gluten Free Orange Cake

2 oranges
6 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
juice of 1 lemon
300g ground almonds

Boil the 2 oranges for 1 hour approximately, then when cooled slightly cut them, take out any pips and blend in the food processor.
Add the eggs one at a time and then add the sugar and lemon juice.
Blend for 2 minutes.
Add in the ground almonds and pulse until combined.
Pour into lined (very important as the cake is VERY moist and WILL stick to the cake tin otherwise) cake tin. I found that this makes a very large cake or two cakes. I made a cake in a 20cm springform tin and a couple of smaller cakes in my pudding moulds. Either way its a great size to serve lots of people!

Bake for 30-40 mins in a 180 deg C oven and cool.
Serve with whipped cream and some shavings of orange peel (or candied orange peel) for a garnish.

Enjoy!

No comments: