24 January 2011

Wild Weather Scones

Isn't this crazy weather for the middle of summer? It rained on my birthday for the first time since I think I was 10. Owen and I took a walk to the beach near high tide and it was wild - the neighbours were sandbagging their doors. I didn't take photos as I was sure I'd ruin my camera in this weather. I did get this one from the deck though.

Sunny Auckland...


This kind of weather gives me that wanna-be-indoors-eating-comfort-food kind of feeling. Scones hit the mark every time.

What's your favourite way to make scones? Mine is with the food processor and I love to add a wee pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the mix. Hmmm smells gooooood!



Basic Scone Recipe

3 cups plain flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
50g butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 milk

Cut up butter into small cubes and add to flour, salt and baking powder mix. Pulse in food processor until resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip mixture into large mixing bowl and and make a well in the middle. Add milk and carefully fold until mixture is incorporated with milk. The key to a successful light fluffy scone is not to overmix so play with it as little as possible.
Using either a lightly dusted bench to cut out shapes or just straight from the bowl, place scones on a tray lined with baking paper close together (they rise better when snugly placed), brush tops with milk and bake for 10mins at 220 deg C.
Serve immediately with whipped cream and jam (isn't the Anathoth jam the best?).

4 comments:

jacksta said...

Thanks for the recipe. I just got a new food processor and are looking for reasons to use it. Ive always hated having to rub the butter and sugar in fingers so hardly ever make scones...great idea with the processor.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday! Sorry the weather was so rotten for you. I followed your journey through breast cancer with sadness and hope. It's so great to see you baking and back on top! Take care.

Sammy said...

Happy birthday! sounds like you had such a good one and just what you needed!
Happy 31 Mon!!

Gail said...

Flip, the food processor is a GREAT idea.... how come I've never thought about that!