04 April 2013

Mint Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Microwave Mug Cake


Wow what a mouthful of a title...

So on the internets there's a post by Buzzfeed called 18 Microwave Snacks You Can Cook In A Mug. And it's kinda awesome. It reminded me of an email I got a few years ago about a chocolate cake you make in the microwave in a mug. I filed the recipe away in a folder, but was a bit dubious about the quality of the recipe and whether it would work. I've had some pretty awful microwave cakes before...

But then I saw the Buzzfeed post and I realised how awesome some of them can look! And its a single cake snack! Who can't resist a serving of cake for one? In a mug?! Meeeeeee!

So I dug out the recipe and gave it a try. And whaddya know, it didn't taste half bad! It had a really nice texture and all the chocolate chips sunk to the bottom to make for a yummy chocolately ending while the marshmallow at the top evened it out nicely so it wasn't too dry.

I would however, next time, share this mug cake. It's really made for two. (I need a lie down now)


Recipe:

4 tablespoons plain flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
Small splash of vanilla or (and this is my favourite part) your favourite tipple.

Add dry ingredients to your largest mug and stir well.
Add the egg and combine thoroughly.
Add the milk and oil and stir until smooth.
Add vanilla and chocolate chips (and/or the small favourite tipple) and mix again.

Pop in microwave for 3 minutes on high. It will rise quite high but it won't tip over.
I added the mint marshmallow at the end and zapped it a little extra 20 seconds just to melt it a little.

You can either eat this straight away while its still hot and the chocolate chips are all melty or you can tip it out and cool it (obvs without the marshmallow on top). I preferred it hot. I can't wait when there's chocolately marshmallowy cakey goodness right there under my nose...

Sadly I can't credit this recipe as I got it on an email YEARS ago and I can't even remember who sent it to me. So if anyone knows where this one comes from please let me know. 


And try making one yourself...its SO easy!! 

6 comments:

Sophie said...

fwarrrrrrr! Mine is in the microwave cooking now. I so need cake and for sure in three minutes!!!

Ann G said...

NAUGHTY!!!!'m

Sima J said...

YUM I love this recipe - we've made it many a time ourselves .. esp. good for a quick treat that you can cook after the kids have gone to bed :-) I even adjusted it to a caramel/butterscotch cake seeing as that's my hub's fav.
Caramel version if anyone's interested: 5Tb flour, 3 Tb brown sugar, 1 egg, 3 Tb milk, 3Tb oil, 2 Tb golden syrup

Johnny said...

Oh Sima J! That sounds divine! Thanks for the info...*goes off to make it.

Alessandra said...

I don't have a microwave, but the "in a mug" theme sounds fun :-).

Ciao
Alessandra

Alessandra said...

PS

You know that you can enter your own recipes too into Sweet NZ? As many as you like. I'll try, but I am still traveling, finally have an apartment, very limited kitchen though... and even less time :-). But I'll try!

Ciao
Alessandra